Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yippee !!

I now have the right to end my sentences with,Eh !! because it's official we are Canadian as of 11.00am today. WOO HOO !!!!

There were 372 other people at the ceremony from 58 countries,58...... and I think there were only about 25 of us that said the oath in English,everyone else took it in French,Ad said it in both languages !! What could make it even more authentic.....a lovely snowstorm to travel in !

I am extremely proud of what happened today because I have considered Canada my home for a long time now.I didn't have to give up my British citizenship but you what if I did I would of,no second thoughts about that.

It wasn't easy packing up a life and moving to a new country and knowing nobody at all and those first few weeks,months and even year were hard,I won't deny that but as time went on I realised I didn't miss England,I missed my friends and family and proper Cadburys chocolate but not England.I love the attitude here I can't describe what it is but it definitely seems more positive.The people are friendly and I just have a better feeling here.

Last week someone said to me,Oh what a lovely accent and I must of given him a blanks stare for a few seconds before it clicked and I said Oh thanks because I forget I have it.

I came out here with the attitude of making it work and meeting new people and learning new things and I don't know if that helps or not? You have to adapt.There are things are different,some things worse (taxes !!)some things better (nearly everything else !!) I shall happily grow old here and know in my hearrt that I made the right choice for my boys future.

I think that calls for a glass of wine to celebrate.....

10 comments:

JJ Sobey said...

Congratulations, eh!

Welcome Home.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! Congratulations Ruth! I think that you are right. A positive frame of mind and a desire to adapt to a new country makes a difference in the end. =) Enjoy being a canadian! Maybe they could even throw in another election so you might be able to exercice your new right? What do you think? LOL

Ash said...

Oh wow, congrats to you Ruth, that's great. I'm glad that you've found the place where you feel most at ease and at home even though it's not your birthplace. It was very brave of you to just pick up and leave like that. I don't know if I would be able to do it... I've been thinking of it, going to teach somewhere like the UK for a year, and there are so many things to consider it's overwhelming.

Glad you made it there at all in this awful weather!

Oh, and "burn after reading" was pretty good. It's kinda a weird comedy, with some funny twists and turns, but well worth. There are a LOT of good actors in it, I would recommend it!

and thnanks for the compliments on the jewelry :) makes me very happy.

Unknown said...

yahoo!!! i wish i could give you a great big old canadian hug & a kiss right now. congratulations my dear friend and i am so glad that you & stuart had the guts to pick up and leave england like that, you are very brave and i am so glad that you came to canada because we love you!

Mary-Ann said...

I'm a bit sad - but I can't disagree with anything you say. England is dismal right now. I miss you but I think you were very brave and I admire you for what you have given to your boys.

Susan Mitchell said...

Congratulations! That must feel such a relief after all the waiting. Enjoy your wine - and I am sure it is Canadian of course ;)
I have missed a lot of your posts until now - not spending much time at the computer these days, just wearing my paint brushes down to stubble.
Love your kitchen! I know it was a bit of a nightmare to do, but it looks well worth it and you must feel great every time you walk in there - well done :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you and the family Ruth, that's great news. :)
Even though our winters are hell, I think being a Canadian citizen makes up for it.. you can always move to BC for the nicer weather.. ;p
I also saw your post below with your kitchen reno photos, and it looks fantastic, so clean and fresh! I'm hoping to start ours this Spring, if I can come up with an affordable plan and convince the hubby... Our kitchen is in DIRE need of a rehaul.

Anonymous said...

Many Congratulations Ruth, and to Stu Ad and Ol. Hope we will be able to join the celebrations soon....!!
Enjoy to the full :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, this is amazing! I have goosebumps. I remember studying the oath when I was little. I was so young that I got to repeat it, line by line, after the Citizenship Judge. Wow! What a great moment. Congratulations to you and your family. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats pal ! Does this now mean that you and Stuart will team up for Trivial Pursuit then ? ;)

Carine