Monday, March 16, 2009

Hot and Spicy BBQ Rub

As promised back with recipes,well not strictly recipes,rubs for making stuff taste yummier !

I've used this rub on a number of things,anything with skin on works best !! My favourite is on rotisserie chicken,which I could eat every Sunday during BBQ season,which is pretty much April to October in our house :)

I can't remember if this is what we've used when making burgers? That could have been the steak one !

I have a lot of spices on hand,if you don't then yes,I suppose it works out a little expensive.But,by the time I've made all my favourite rubs up for the summer I've used pretty much everything I've had to buy.This way,like most stuff I cook at least I know exactly what's going in here.

Hot and Spicy BBQ Rub.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups and will keep for 3/6 months.I make double this in spring and it barely lasts till the end of summer !


1/2 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp hot mustard powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

Simply mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and transfer into a airtight container.
Store in a cool dry place.



Just for you Mary-Ann.........

Mediterranean Rub.

This is wonderful on roasted veggies,in fact it's the only thing I use on my veggies when we BBQ ! Also good for potato wedges,on fish,chicken pork..........

Now it does seem to include a large amount of salt...........I'm fine with that here as I barely use salt in anything else.Trust me it's worth it :)

Makes about a cup but again I make double as I use it all the time,all year round.

1/4 cup dehydrated garlic flakes
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chili flakes
2 tbsp chicken stock powder
2 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried marjoram(or oregano will do)
1 tbsp coarsely ground fennel seeds
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp cayenne pepper

Simply mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and transfer into a airtight container.
Store in a cool dry place.

3 comments:

Mary-Ann said...

Coor Sounds lovely - what do you do when you're BBqing vegetables? Do you just rub the skins with it?

Do you use it on fish? Meat here is really expensive - we prob only have it once or twice a week and eat veggi or fish the rest of the time.

I would choose to BBQ from spring to Autumn but we just can't afford that much meat.

Ruth said...

I BBQ anything and everything because it saves heating the house up with having the stove on in the summer !!It doesn't have to be meat :)we're not big meat eaters.

I chop my veggies(peppers,onions,courgettes,mushroom,garlic cloves) into good size chunks,put them in a big zip lock bag(bowl would do) drizzle with a little Olive oil,give it a shake and then tip in some of the rub,shake again until even coated.Then we heat the veggie wok thing we have for the BBQ up and chuck 'em on :)

I've used the med one on fish,just sprinkled on,it's good :)

Mary-Ann said...

MMmmmmm lovely lovely - we gonna BBQ next week now even if it rains!!