Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nothing to do with Ireland !

Well it's St Paddy's day but I don't have an Irish inspired recipe,sorry.I do but it's so lovely and sunny and spring like I'm not going to post a Stew recipe !

I couldn't decide between simple,versatile Spicy Tomato sauce(which was a 3 for one deal !!) or Mushroom Quesadillas .....................

Quesadillas won !! I make these a lot in the summer served with this bean salad You don't have to use the really big mushrooms,I often buy the smaller ones.It's really one of those recipes that you can work to how you like it,use the ingredients amountsas an example.
Sorry I don't have any photo's,next time I make them I'll try and remember to put one here.


Roasted Portabella Mushroom Quesadillas

Serves 4

Allow 2 tortillas per person for a lunch,maybe 3 and a half for dinner served with a salad.

8 portobello mushrooms(generally I allow one mushroom per quesadilla)
6 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper

8 large flour or whole wheat tortillas
4 cups grated cheddar Cheese (I think goats cheese would be yummy too but haven't tried that yet !)
2 cup chunky tomato salsa(I use medium heat)
1/2 cup coriander leaves chopped


1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).

2. Trim stems of mushrooms parallel to cap or remove completely and place in a non metallic dish.Mix the oil with the vinegar and pour over the mushrooms to cover them. Season well with salt and pepper.

3. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Thickly slice and divide each mushroom into 4 to 6 portions.

4. Lay one tortilla on counter.Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over half the tortilla. Lay 4/6 mushroom portions on top of cheese. Top with 1/4 cup tomato salsa, another 1/4 cup cheese and a good sprinkling of the coriander leaves. Fold tortilla over and press down.

5. Heat a non stick skillet or frying pan on medium heat. Place tortilla in skillet.(you can fit 2 at a time) Fry underside until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip over and fry second side until golden and cheese is melted, another 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with other tortillas.

6. Let cool slightly and cut in to 3.....................eat fast before everyone else does :)

1 comment:

Mary-Ann said...

yum yum yum yum defo gonna try that one!